Thursday, October 27, 2011

Curious researcher quiz


By reading Bruce Ballengers, The Curious Researcher, I learned many things about researching. The three most important things I learned were, Where to get your research, techniques to researching, and which sources are most credible. I learned that it is okay to use Google as long as you are careful. People who are educated and know what they are talking about write library databases, but not all Google sources are bad. Bruce said that about 52 percent of the sources he found on Google for a particular subject are all pretty useful. As long as you know the difference between a good and a bad source, Google is okay to use for some information. I also learned how to search. Before I just typed words into the search engine and hoped that I would get what I was looking for. This chapter taught me different search strategies that allow me to search easier and more effective. I learned about Boolean tricks and how adding, AND, OR, and NOT, can help you narrow down your search and get better results. I also learned about Google’s advanced search engine. I am surprised I never knew about this before. It lets you use all of the Boolean tricks without having to use AND, OR, and NOT. I learned how to tell what sources are quality sources.  Specialized knowledge and more authoritative sources such as academic journals are better sources then general encyclopedias. Experts usually write academic journals, where as magazine articles are informative but may not be written by experts. You should use Academic journal sources before anything else because they are most credible but be sure to have a variety of sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment